1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound chicken, cut into small pieces
2 tablespoons butter
1 pound mushrooms, sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 (8 ounces each) packages frozen artichoke hearts, thawed, coarsely chopped
1 cup white wine
4 1/2 tablespoons butter
4 1/2 tablespoons all purpose flour
4 1/2 cups whole milk
2 1/2 cups Parmesan cheese, grated
Ground nutmeg, to taste
1 9-ounce package oven-ready (no-boil) lasagna noodles
1 pound whole-milk mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
1. For filling: Heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until done. Melt butter in skillet, without removing chicken, and add mushrooms and garlic; sauté until mushrooms release juices and begin to brown, about 7-10 minutes. Add artichokes and white wine. Cook until liquid is absorbed, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
2. For béchamel sauce: Melt butter in heavy medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add flour; stir 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until sauce thickens and lightly coats spoon, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes. Stir in 1 1/2 cups Parmesan. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and ground nutmeg.
3. Spread 2/3 cup béchamel sauce over bottom of 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish. Top with 4 noodles. Spread 1/4 of artichoke mixture over. Spoon 2/3 cup béchamel sauce over. Top béchamel with 1/4 of mozzarella.
4. Sprinkle with 3 tablespoons Parmesan. Top with 4 more noodles. Repeat layering until last 4 noodles are placed on top, then spread remaining béchamel over the noodles. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan. (This can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover with foil and refrigerate.)
5. Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake lasagna covered with foil 1 hour (or 1 hour 15 minutes if chilled). Remove foil. Increase temperature to 450°F. Bake lasagna until golden on top, about 10 minutes longer.
This recipe is from Epicurious.com and slightly tweaked to add chicken. The original is vegetarian and the chicken can easily be omitted. I found the recipe in my search for non-traditional lasagna and could not have been more pleased. I made this for Game Day and it was definitely a hit with everyone. I will certainly be making this again in the future when I want something other than the classic lasagna.