- 1 large spaghetti squash, cut in half and seeds removed
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
For the sauce
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound sweet italian sausage
- 14 ounces canned crushed tomatoes
- salt and freshly black pepper, to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons basil, chopped
- Heat oven to 400*F.
- Place squash in microwave safe dish and cover. Microwave 8-9 minutes, or until soft.
- In a small bowl combine ricotta cheese, 2 tablespoons parmesan, and parsley.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-low heat. Add onions and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft. Add sausage and cook, breaking into smaller pieces, until browned and cooked through. Add tomatoes and season with salt and pepper to taste. Add bay leaf and simmer, covered, over low heat, for 20 to 30 minutes. Once sauce is finished, remove bay leaf and stir in basil.
- Using a fork, remove spaghetti squash. Drain the squash on a paper towel to remove any excess liquid. Toss squash with sauce and transfer to baking dish. Top with dollops of ricotta cheese mixture and 2 tablespoons mozzarella cheese.
- Bake 20 to 30 minutes or until everything is hot, bubbly, and cheese has melted.
This recipe is from Skinnytaste. I haven’t had a lot of spaghetti squash in my life which is a bit strange, since I am quite the winter squash lover. I guess it always seems too complicated? It’s not, though, it’s super easy to cook with! This was a tasty recipe and we all quite enjoyed it.