Sausage, Spinach, and Spaghetti Squash Boats
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 2 pounds sweet italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 8-12 ounces baby spinach
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoon pine nuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Cut squash in half and remove seeds. Place in microwave, cut side down, and microwave for about 10 minutes, or until flesh is soft. (My microwave is small, I had to do the halves separately.) Let squash cool then scoop out flesh with fork.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until soft, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add sausage to skillet and cook, stirring and breaking the sausage into small pieces with spoon. Cook 10 to 12 minutes, or until sausage is browned and cooked through. Add spinach and cook, stirring, until wilted. Remove skillet from heat and stir in spaghetti squash strands. Toss to combine, then season with salt and pepper and top with pine nuts and parsley.
- If desired, scoop mixture into spaghetti squash shells for serving. Otherwise just scoop mixture onto plates.
This recipe is from Paleo Grubs and was super delicious! I’m not sure why we don’t have more spaghetti squash, since it’s really yummy. The flavors in this were all super and I’m happy that I seem to be able to eat small amounts of leafy greens again with no problem!